Monday, March 7, 2011

I FEEL LUCKY...


...to work with such a wonderful people. Peer parents are the most dedicated, caring, and empathetic people I know. Thank you for your great example to me and your tireless efforts for the families you work with.


Last month I trained a few new peer parents. I'd like to welcome Megan, Velvet, Kera, Lori and Mandy to our peer parent family - we're glad to have you with us!


This month is advanced peer parent training. It will be held on Saturday, March 19, from 9:00 to 11:00 in the Clearfield DCFS. Amy Graham, a superviser from the Clearfield office will take us through the entire DCFS process, from initial referral of a family through closing of a case. I think it will be very beneficial for all of us to better understand the role of DCFS as we work so closely with them.


I want to make you all aware of the Youth Mentor Program. This is also a program I coordinate for DCFS. Youth mentors work with youth who have open cases with DCFS. Some of these youth are in foster care, others remain at home with their families. These are typically young people who could benefit from a good role model outside of what is provided in their homes. A youth mentor must be 21 years of age or older, pass a Criminal and Child Abuse Background Check, have good references, and meet some training expectations. A mentor works with each youth assigned to them up to 30 hours per month. Youth mentors are paid $9.25/hour when working with a youth one-on-one and $6.25/hour when taking more than one youth on an activity.


If you know anyone who meets the above qualifications and loves working with youth, please have them contact me for more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment