Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Peer Parent Teaching Tip


Congratulations to Julie Trujillo for winning the "Peer Parent Teaching Tip" contest! She will receive a gift card to Target. Julie is from West Haven, has been a peer parent for almost two years and has been very successful with all the clients she has worked with.
Julie's tip... "Working with parents who are hard to engage can be challenging, so when this is the case I have created a "Skill Review Quiz" after each of our meetings I give the parent a review. We do it together, but I only help when they get stuck. This encourages communication and questions. It also lets me know if they are understanding the skill and if we need to continue discussing the topic. Good Luck All!'
This is a great suggestion - it helps reinforce the topic to the parents and gives the peer parent good information about where to go from there. Thanks, Julie!
IMPORTANT TRAINING INFORMATION:
When I was scheduling the advanced trainings for this year, I didn't think about UEA (Fall Recess) falling on October 14-15. I had planned to hold a training on Sat., Oct. 16 but now realize this is probably a bad day because a lot of people go out of town over this weekend. Our next advanced training will now be held on Saturday, Oct. 23rd so mark your calendars - more information to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment